How to pack when downsizing your home
Get a Free Moving Quote
Let’s say you’re about to move from your good old big Florida home. The house might have been large and spacious, but perhaps the cost of maintenance and utilities had become too much of a burden. So, you decided that your next home should be small! Thankfully, New Leaf Moving Group is one of the best movers Palm Beach County can offer, and will gladly help you with the move. However, that raises a new question: how are you going to pack and fit everything in your new home? The answer to your question is a term called downsizing. You need to learn how to pack when downsizing your home, and we are here to help you with that! Use these tips and guidelines for an easy packing process before your move to Texas.
Tips to help you when downsizing your home
Before everything, you should know some of the basic tips for downsizing and packing. If you start with the right approach, the rest of the process will be smooth. Without any delay, let’s dive right into the topic and make your packing easy.
- Start downsizing on time. Downsizing and decluttering is a lengthy process, so you want to start as early as possible.
- Before you start, take inventory of all your items. This will help you stay aware of all the things you have in your home.
- Since you’re downsizing, think of what rooms you won’t have in your new home. That’ll help you figure out which items to get rid of, or which to keep if you can repurpose them.
- To save up on packing materials, hire movers to pack your home. Many moving companies out there have some of the most diverse moving services Boynton Beach has ever seen. Usually, one of the services is the company’s packing services.
- If you follow step one, then you can also give yourself time to think about decluttering. As we said, it is a long, and often emotional process that will make you think a lot. The more time you have to downsize, the better, as it will make making choices easier.
What to do with the items you want to get rid of
The next question that needs answering is what comes after you sort your items. Of course, for the items you decide to keep, you will get materials and boxes to pack them and have them moved to your new home. Now, you won’t believe us when we tell you you have to sort the other items again. Why you may ask? The answer is simple. You see, there are simple items that you might’ve wanted to keep, but have nowhere to put. In any case, we have a few solutions for you to try out.
- If the items you can’t bring with you have sentimental value, we suggest giving them to friends or family as gifts or family heirlooms. That way, you know that they’ll at least be in good, safe hands.
- Do you have old clothes you can’t or don’t want to wear anymore or have various items that you don’t need anymore? Do you need some extra cash to get by or to cover the moving costs? Well, search no more! One of the best things you can do is sell your stuff online on sites such as eBay or Facebook groups!
- Before you throw things right away, see if you can recycle or repurpose them. For example, old newspapers and towels can serve as box filling while packing your items. Or, you can actually take your unneeded stuff to a recycling center, if there is one close to you.
Learn how to pack when downsizing your home
Unless you plan on using your moving company’s packing services, before moving to Texas from Florida, you’ll have to pack on your own. However, if you already followed the previous tips and steps, you have already done half of the job. We will give you some quick packing advice so you can wrap up the process.
- Start from rooms that you know you won’t need until the end of the move. For example, it certainly makes more sense to empty out places such as the attic or guest room because you’ll be using them the least. There’s no point in, say, packing up the kitchen when you’re going to use it every day until you move.
- For sentimental things such as old drawings from your child, various tickets, and bills, people often opt for photocopying or taking pictures. To that we say: as long as you nearly organize everything in a folder, there is no need to say goodbye to these things as they do not take up too much space. After all, it is just paper: with a few paper clips and good planning, they won’t get in the way.
- Many long distance movers South Florida can offer you will charge you more for the disassembly of large items, like furniture and such. If you want to avoid paying more for this service, here’s a tip. We suggest that you save the big furniture for last and that you keep it in an empty room or storage until the moving day comes.
- Follow the usual steps: label boxes, handle them with care, carefully pack electronic devices, be very careful when you pack glassware and other fragile items, empty out the pantry, etc.
Pack like you’d pack for a regular move
In general, there isn’t much of a difference between packing for a regular move or when you downsize. So, if you were wondering how to pack when downsizing your home, know that the most crucial, if not, the only crucial step, is to declutter on time. Once you’re done packing, you can count on New Leaf Moving Group to handle all your items with care. We are one of the best moving companies Florida has ever seen, and we will do our best to prove ourselves. Trust us, you won’t regret it.