Different types of moving estimates
Get a Free Moving Quote
If you are wondering what are different types of moving estimates, you’re at the right place. Today we’ll give you a full explanation on how to choose the best relocation estimate for you and how to keep your costs lower. Plus, we’ll show you that different movers can have different moving costs. For example, calling movers Lighthouse Point FL, and asking about long-distance relocation can have completely different price quotes. So let’s see what are the 3 most popular options in this case.
There are 3 main types of moving estimates
When talking about moving estimates, there are 3 main types.
- The first one is a non-binding estimate. This moving estimate is based on the weight of your belongings. So it doesn’t matter if you are moving to Texas from Florida, or just next door. Still, the name “non-binding,” implies that the price is not fixed and may change depending on the actual weight of your items.
- The second one is a binding estimate. In this case, the relocation company guarantees a fixed cost based on the approximate weight of your belongings. So you will pay exactly what you were originally quoted.
- And finally, there’s a binding not-to-exceed estimate or a “guaranteed not-to-exceed” quote. This maybe seems the most tempting one as even if the weight of your belongings exceeds the original estimate, you won’t be charged anything extra. Even so, if your items weigh less, you can end up paying less than the original quote.
How to pay less for your relocation?
There are some things that you can do to impact the price of your moving estimate. For starters, make sure that every item you prepare for transport is clean and dry.
Not only will it not be fun to unpack dusty furniture and dirty appliances, but the remaining moisture and dirt can damage your items during the moving process… Not to mention it can impact the price too! Be sure to only call reputable relocation companies so you avoid any kind of moving scams. So before you start calling moving companies, we advise you to do the following:
- turn off and clean electrical appliances; empty, defrost and clean the refrigerator and freezer;
- empty and clean the dishwasher;
- clean the stove, grills, and microwave ovens;
- after cleaning, dry the devices with a towel to remove traces of moisture;
- remove the batteries from all devices;
- drain fuel from all fuel tools such as a lawnmower or trimmer;
- empty drawers, cabinets, bookshelves, and other pieces of furniture and throw away what you don’t need;
- group your items by type and type to make packaging faster, safer, and more efficient.
Mark the items you won’t carry with you
Be sure to mark all larger pieces you own such as furniture and appliances that will not move into your new home. This is especially true if you are moving long distance. In this way, workers know that these items won’t go into moving quotes. This may be a little longer preparation for moving, but it will make the job much easier later.
Additional tricks to lower the price of relocation
So, you have planned all the details, done everything you can to facilitate the relocation process, and prepare your items for transport. Still, the question remains: how to prepare your household or your office for moving estimate to be lower?
For starters, you can ease the access to your home to help the movers. Take the necessary precautions so that the workers can move objects safely and easily, and above all, provide enough free space in the rooms and hallways to get your belongings out. Also, you can cover floors and carpets with old sheets or blankets, large pieces of cardboard, or any other suitable protective materials that will protect them from damage as well as dirt. If it is raining or snowing outside, lay old mats in front of the entrance to your home and in the hallways so that you do not leave the rain, snow, and mud on the floor.
Provide unobstructed access to your home
Small details like a convenient parking space for a van or a truck of your movers make a big difference when it comes to moving quotes… But are also one of the biggest preparations for moving. Warn the selected moving and transportation company of possible difficulties to avoid any complications.
Pay special attention to the characteristics of the location itself. These can be anything from a large number of stairs, small doors, narrow streets, specific parking rules, parking time limits, house rules. Inform your movers in advance about such obstacles.
This will help them decide how long it is necessary to transport things, how many workers they need to hire, which vehicle to provide, and what special equipment they will need. Of course, all these details go into the moving estimates. If drivers cannot park in your personal driveway, you have to reserve parking for a truck on the street in front of the house or get a special parking permit in the shared driveway.
Check everything one more time
Before you call reputable moving companies such as New Leaf Moving Group go through the garage and attic, look under the stairs, open closets, and pay special attention to the furniture that remains in the old location. Check everything to make sure do you really want to move all the items to your new home. In the end, we hope these tips will help you avoid delays, accidents, misunderstandings, and unnecessary interruptions during the moving day. Good luck!